Saturday, July 31, 2010

The School Visit: St. Heliers

Well to be truthful, I am pretty lazy to complete my assignment now. So I guess a little detour will help me get back to work later. Last Thursday (29 July 2010), me and my friends went out for a School Visit.The whole group were divided into three groups. Each groups were assigned to visit different school at different levels. Lucky for me that my first School Visit was to St. Heliers Primary school.The visit was fun. Seeing all the happy faces of the kids there made me feel how jealous I am for not having the chances as theirs. Compared to Malaysian school, NZ schools often assigned a teacher to be responsible for all subjects of a class (No kidding.The teacher have to teach Math, Science, Art, Technology, English, Social Studies, Health and Physical). This school also instill the Maori culture (the original settler in NZ)in its daily operation. Unlike in Malaysia, the students here are encourage to bring their own lunch box. Pretty savvy right? Even so, they do have a canteen called "Tuck-shop". However, students need to order first before get their food delivered to them.Here, they believed that "play-time" is necessary at this particular age for the child's growth. It's fair enough to say that their education is all about "improvement" and not "achievement". Which I some what agree. The class environment is very welcoming,open and nice. There is no pressure but pleasure. Too much to compare right? But this is the truth. Truth that we are lacking of back in our place. What surprised me the most was their knowledge of Malaysia geography. Even they can't give the exact where about, they managed to point out that Malaysia is close to China and Thailand. Well said, isn't it? With these advantages,I might consider sending my children to study in NZ someday :) And yes, I really enjoyed the Maori lesson with Mrs. Palmer. It was memorable!



1 Comments:

Blogger sizukaDeboss said...

angah uploadlah pic dgn mrs.palmer dkt fb:)

July 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home